Check out a video for this recipe at findjerseyfresh.com/JerseyFresh/recipes/apple-squash-cheddar-soup
Apple Squash Cheddar Soup
- 5 tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
- 2 Jersey Fresh shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 Jersey Fresh Gala apples, thinly sliced
- 1 large Jersey Fresh white potato, diced
- 1 1/2 cups Jersey Fresh butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp. dried sage
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup Jersey Fresh apple cider
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup Jersey Fresh milk
- 2 oz. thinly sliced prosciutto, torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 cups (plus more for garnish) sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Jersey Fresh chives, chopped for garnish (optional)
25 min. prep / 30 min. cook time
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large pot over medium-low heat and add the shallots, apples, potato and squash.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook until the shallots are soft, about eight minutes.
- Stir in the sage and flour then add the cider and cook over high heat, stirring, until thickened.
- Add the broth and milk, cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook until the potato is soft, eight to 10 minutes.
- Add the cheese and stir over medium-low heat until melted
- Using and immersion blender, blend until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Garnish with cheese, crispy prosciutto and chives.