The Atlantic County Utilities Authority (ACUA) is offering free summer Open House Tours of the wind farm at its Wastewater Treatment Facility on Wednesdays at 12 noon throughout July and August. ACUA’s Wastewater Treatment Facility is the largest hybrid wind and solar powered water treatment facility in the world. The wind farm is the first commercial development of its kind in the state, as well as the first coastal and urban wind farm in the nation.
ACUA is able to harness the power of wind and solar projects onsite to produce a significant amount of renewable energy every day. These projects save money and reduce emissions. The tour offers visitors a chance to get a close-up view of the wind turbines, each measuring more than 380 feet from the ground to the blade’s tip, see 500 kilowatts of solar power, and learn how these renewable energy projects help the ACUA’s wastewater treatment process.
“We are happy to be able to welcome people back for Summer Open House Tours,” ACUA President Rick Dovey noted. “People come to learn about the wind turbines, but they leave with an understanding of the wastewater treatment process and its importance, too. Most people don’t stop to consider what happens to the water that goes down your drain. Our tours offer a chance for people to learn about this essential environmental process.”
Summer Open House tours are open to people of all ages but may be most appropriate for kids age 8 and up. The tour lasts approximately one hour and is conducted outdoors. Please take note of ACUA’s COVID safety guidelines:
• If you are not feeling well, please do not come for a tour. It is not a problem to reschedule.
• The entire tour will be conducted outdoors.
• Although you may not need it, sunscreen, bug spray, and a reusable water bottle are recommended.
• Bathroom access is limited.
• Face coverings for vaccinated visitors are no longer required when outdoors. Do what you feel most comfortable with.
• Please maintain social distance whenever possible.
• Visitors should dress for the weather and light walking.
• No reservations are required, but visitors should plan to arrive in time for the 12 noon start time. Open House Tours are ideal for individuals or groups of five or less. Larger groups are encouraged to schedule a private tour. For directions or more information call the ACUA at 609-272-6950, or go to acua.com/summertours.