Whether you’re putting down roots or putting your home on the market, kitchen upgrades make a huge impact. Not only do they have daily “good feeling” appeal for current homeowners, they can offer a great return on investment when it’s time to sell. So it’s no surprise that kitchens were the second leading site of home improvements made since the pandemic, according to Hippos’s recent “State of Homeownership Survey.”
Boost your kitchen’s beauty and functionality with these DIY makeover ideas:
1. Countertops. Tired of boring countertops? When using the SpreadStone kit from Daich Coatings, an elegant new finish requires only the ability to paint, roll and sand. Working well on existing laminate, cultured marble, formica and other solid surfaces, the result is a dynamic stone finish that provides shimmering mineral accents and color highlights found in natural mined rock. The three-step process includes applications of a stone base coat, decorative stone coat and stone clear top coat. Finished countertops resist heat, stains, abrasion, impact and household cleaners. Available in 10 colors, including Oyster and Volcanic Black, each kit includes application tools and required coatings to complete 30 to 40 square feet of space. Kits are available online at The Home Depot and at daichcoatings.com.
2. Decorative boards. Add warmth to bars and kitchen islands, or an entire wall, by installing decorative wood boards. The ready-to-install S4S Decorative Boards from Ornamental Decorative Millwork provide a rich, clean appearance and are available in Ambrosia Maple, White Oak, Black Stained Aspen and Gray Stained Aspen profiles.
3. Track lighting. For a cool look that’s also highly functional, install track lighting above all areas of the kitchen where you slice, dice and sauté, or use it to highlight design elements. Kits make installation easy and are available in a range of designs complementing any style. Add specialty lighting in other areas of the kitchen to give the room a warm glow.
4. Floating shelves. Add floating shelves to keep spices handy, hold favorite cookbooks, stack plates or display decorative accent pieces. Lightweight and easy-to-install in just minutes, they can be painted or stained to complement other design elements in the room.
5. Wood beams. Add architectural style and warmth to your kitchen (or any other room) with lightweight Rustic Beams from Ornamental Decorative Millwork. Whether it’s adding straight beams, creating a center beam with cross beams, or crafting a coffered ceiling, home design creativity knows no bounds with this DIY project. Made of real wood, these pre-stained U-shaped beams and wrought iron metal accent brackets are available at Lowe’s and come with everything needed for installation.
6. Outdoor kitchen. Building an outdoor kitchen is an amazing way to make better use of your backyard and enjoy fresh air as you cook and dine. Using VertiStone Roll-On Wall Texture, you can ensure the space is beautiful. Without prep work and in little time, you can use it to completely transform any drywall, block, masonry or concrete outdoor kitchen surface in such finishes as smooth polished marble, natural suede, parchment, dream lace and linen. To protect the newly-coated surfaces, add Hi-Build Ultra Clear Coat, a tough coating that resists water, U/V rays, chemicals, impact and abrasion.