Here’s a Jersey Fresh recipe that incorporates some produce available this time of year—pickling cucumbers, onions, and dill. Check out a video for this recipe at findjerseyfresh.com/JerseyFresh/recipes/pickles-2-ways
Easy Refrigerator Pickles (Two Ways)
- 4-5 Jersey Fresh pickling cucumbers, cut into slices
- 1½ tbsp. salt
- 1 medium Jersey Fresh onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ tsp. mustard seeds
- ½ tsp. celery seeds
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 pinch ground turmeric
- 4 Jersey Fresh pickling cucumbers, cut into spears
- 1½ cups water
- 3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1½ tbsp. pickling salt (can substitute kosher salt)
- 2 tsp. black peppercorns, divided
- 2 bay leaf, divided
- 4 large cloves Jersey Fresh garlic, peeled and divided
- 6 large sprigs Jersey Fresh dill, divided
- 15 min. prep / 10 min. cook time
- Mix cucumber slices and salt. together in a bowl. Let sit for 1 1/2 hours
- Pour cucumbers into a sieve set in the sink. Rinse under cold running water and drain well.
- Combine sugar, white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, mustard seeds, celery seeds, and turmeric in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil. Stir until sugar dissolves, about 3 minutes.
- Place cucumbers into a heat-proof bowl. Add onion.
- Pour hot vinegar mixture over top.
- Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Add cucumbers and liquid to a container with a lid (we used 2, pint sized mason jars).
- Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Combine water, vinegar and salt. Mix until salt is dissolved.
- Add liquid to a container with a lid (we used 2, pint sized mason jars).
- Add 1 tsp peppercorns, 1 bay leaf, 3 sprigs dill and 2 garlic cloves to each jar.
- Divide the cucumber spears.between the jars then place lids and shake to combine.
- Refrigerate for 24 hours (you can do less or more depending on how much flavor you want the pickles to have).