When it’s time to declutter your closet or dresser drawers, don’t just throw the items away, consider donating them to Big Brothers Big Sisters Cumberland & Salem Counties (BBBS). By doing so, you are helping youth in our community to reach their fullest potential, while at the same time giving your donated items a new life outside of a landfill, preserving natural resources, and protecting the environment.
According to the Environmental Protection Agency, almost 13.1 million tons of clothes and other textiles are thrown away every year, only 15 percent of which (roughly 2 million tons) are recovered for reuse or recycling. Apparel and textile manufacturing is one of the largest consumers of water and producers of contaminated wastewater that must be treated. The average T-shirt requires 700 gallons of water to manufacture, a pair of jeans up to 1,800 gallons.
“With the help of our community partners, each pound of clothing or other items donated to one of our clothing bins positively impacts the future of children facing adversity in Cumberland & Salem Counties,” said Donna Bennett, president and CEO of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Cumberland & Salem Counties. “Donations are a great way to be both socially responsible and environmentally friendly.”
Area residents are encouraged to bring used clothing and other household items including draperies and curtains; bedding accessories (no mattresses); in good condition to one of the BBBS bins, which can be found at the following locations:
• Bethlehem Revival Temple – 37 South Ave., Bridgeton
• Maxx Fit – 110 Cornwell Dr., Bridgeton
• Starbound Gymnastics – 447 Landis Ave., Bridgeton
• Sweet Things w/ Style – 742 Centerton Rd., Centerton
• Shine for Jesus Car Wash – 1002 Wheaton Ave. and G Street, Millville
• Big Brothers Big Sisters Office – 1944 E. Landis Ave., Vineland
• Bay Atlantic Federal Credit Union – 101 W. Elmer Rd., Vineland
• Rowan College of South Jersey Cumberland Campus – 3322 College Dr., Vineland
• Prudential – 2647 E Chestnut Ave., Vineland
• Sparkle Kleen – 2611 S. Main Rd., Vineland
• Vineland High School – 2880 E. Chestnut Ave., Vineland
“We are always looking for additional businesses, schools, churches, and other organizations in Cumberland County or Salem County who would like to sponsor a donation bin location,” said Melody Montgomery, BBBS director of Development. “We will collect the materials and maintain the area surrounding the bins on a weekly basis; we can schedule additional pick-ups as needed. If you can’t host a bin location, another option is to sponsor a clothing drive which we can help you organize.”
For more information about hosting a bin location, clothing drive, or additional ways to support Big Brothers Big Sisters Cumberland & Salem Counties, contact Melody Montgomery at 856-692-0916, or visit southjerseybigs.org.