Zucchini and Pea Orzo with Homemade Basil Pesto
2/3 cup orzo
1 TB olive oil
2 1/2 tbsp. Jersey Fresh Super Simple Basil Pesto (on Jersey Fresh website) OR you can use store-bought pesto
1 Jersey Fresh garlic clove, minced
1 small Jersey Fresh yellow or white onion, diced
1 Jersey Fresh zucchini
1 Jersey Fresh gold bar squash (can substitute another zucchini if not available)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
Parmesan cheese, to taste (for serving)
5 minute prep / 20 minute cook time
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add orzo and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add peas and cook another minute (Note: the orzo might not be fully cooked but that will finish in remaining steps).
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water. Drain orzo and peas and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium high heat.
- Add garlic and onion and sauté until soft about 2 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and squash and sauté until all is softened and onion is starting to turn golden brown, about 4 minutes.
- Add pesto, orzo and pea mixture, reserved pasta water, salt and pepper. Stir well and let it simmer until the water is absorbed, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat to serving dish and top with parmesan. Serve immediately.
For more Jersey Fresh recipes, visit findjerseyfresh.com/JerseyFresh/recipes