Here’s a Jersey Fresh recipe that incorporates some produce available this time of year—eggplant. It’s a take on a pizza pie and is a great way to get the kids to try eggplant (again). Check out a video for this reciepe at findjerseyfresh.com/JerseyFresh/recipes/sicilian-eggplant-pie
Sicilian Eggplant Pie
- 4 small, Sicilian eggplants
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 store bought pie crust
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. basil
- black pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup sun dried tomatoes in oil (and drained), chopped
- 1 1/2 cups gruyere cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 TB olive oil
- 35 min. prep / 40 min. cook time
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease and flour a nine-inch round pie plate.
- Peel the eggplant and thinly slice. Place the slices in a colander with a plate or bowl underneath. Toss with 1 tsp. of salt. Let sit for 20 minutes, then drain, but do no rinse.
- Preheat grill pan or barbecue. Lightly grill both sides of eggplant slices.
- Place pie crust into prepared pan and prick the bottom of the crust well.
- Layer in the ingredients, starting with 1/2 the grilled eggplant, a sprinkle of oregano, basil and pepper then 1/3 of the Parmesan, 1/2 of the sun-dried tomatoes and 1/2 of the gruyere. Repeat with remaining eggplant, remaining spices, 1/3 of Parmesan, remaining sun-dried tomatoes and gruyere. Sprinkle with remaining 1/3 of Parmesan. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or crust is golden brown and cheese is melted. NOTE: if crust starts to get too brown, you can cover it with foil or a pie crust shield.
- Let sit for 10 minutes, then slice and enjoy!