We all love a beautifully landscaped yard. Green lush lawn, manicured flower beds, perfectly planned and beautiful flowers of just the right color. Here are a few tips to help you achieve the look you love, whether it is large or small scale.
• Design it right (if you are going big): Survey your property and make notes regarding the land’s topography, existing vegetation, soil type, rainfall, wind patterns, lighting and areas where water collects.
• Amend your soil: Plants thrive in healthy, loamy soil. Amend your soil with compost to help clay soils improve absorption and sandy soils hold water. Avoid shortcuts with soil preparation. Till in plenty of organic matter to improve poor soil. This will help plants grow faster.
• Group plants together based on their soil, sun and water requirements. For example, place sun-loving plants in the sunniest part of the garden or landscape. Purchase plants in gallon containers rather than four-inch pots for quick results. Large plants may cost more, but they fill in faster.
• Space plants snugly: Use fast-growing groundcovers to fill in between plants, eliminate bare earth and crowd out weeds.
• Plant a variety of colors and textures: Place plants with broad leaves next to those with spiky forms and use plants with shiny green leaves as companions to some with fuzzy gray foliage. The contrast makes a garden appear full.
• Water early in the morning: The best time to water is early in the morning when evaporation is less. You may also water after six in the evening; however, try not to leave standing water on plants as it may encourage mold or disease.
• Fertilize: Nurseries or garden centers can help you decide the best course of action, so you are not wasting money. Always fertilize during the growing season and before watering so it’s green and lush. Well-fed plants and lawns will grow large and healthy.
I hope you find some of this helpful and that it inspires you to get started having the home that is the envy of the neighborhood.
Until next week….
Jill Santandrea, Broker Manager, EXIT Homestead Realty Professionals LLC, 1070 E Chestnut Ave, Vineland, NJ 08360; 856-692-EXIT; Cell: 856-362-0967; Direct: 888-856-5455; TheJillTeam.com; E-mail: TeamJill@ExitHomePros.com; Text JillS to 85377 for my mobile business card. Listen to Jill on 99.9FM SNJ Radio Today. Source: 2019 Buffini & Company